In a legal context, premises liability is where an accident injury occurs due to unsafe conditions on someone else’s property. Like most personal injury cases, a premises liability claim relies on the basis of negligence.
Put simply, to reach a settlement, an injury victim or their personal injury attorney must prove that a property owner was negligent with respect to the maintenance or operation of their property.
A premises liability case requires the following factors to be true:
• An injury must have occurred on someone else’s property,
• The property must have been in an unsafe condition,
• The property owner knew or should have had reasonable knowledge that the premises were in an unsafe condition, and
• The property owner did not take reasonable care to amend the unsafe condition of their property.
Premises liability law can cover a wide variety of accident scenarios. Below are common premises liability accident causes covered by our attorneys at Nordanyan Law:
• Building code violations / hazardous conditions
• Missing guardrails or fencing
• Obstructed walkway
• Negligent security
• Poor construction
• Staircase accident
• Swimming pool accident
• Amusement Park accident
• Water leak or flooding
• Snow and ice accident / dangerous conditions
Some of the most common accident injuries we see in premises liability cases include:
• Broken bones
• Ligament injuries
• Neck injuries
• Shock and electrocution
• Spinal cord injuries
In a premises liability claim, damages can be extensive. As an accident victim, you should
understand the types of damages for which you may qualify.
• Medical bills – These include medical expenses ranging from the beginning from your accident date to any future long-term medical costs, such as surgery costs, physical therapy, rehabilitation costs, and medication.
• Lost wages – After an injury, you may have to take time off from work to recover physically. Lost wages can include salaries, tips, bonuses, and any long-term lost earning capacity.
• Property damage – if you have damaged or lost property due to an accident caused by negligence, you may be able to recover this as part of your premises liability lawsuit.
• Pain and suffering – The extent of the damages and compensation you can recover for pain depend on the severity of your injuries. If your injury has long-term ramifications that require you to change your life, the claim amount will be much higher than if it were a minor injury.
• Emotional distress – After a premises liability accident, an injured victim may have to adjust to new changes psychologically. Anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder may ensue after an injury.
• Loss of consortium – Loss of consortium in a compensatory claim can cover the impact the accident may have on your loved ones, such as a spouse. This includes loss of companionship, the ability to bear children, and loss of intimacy.
Allow one of our premises liability attorneys to help you gather all the information necessary concerning your specific damages. We’ll collect all the information that is necessary for building a successful premises liability case on your behalf. We are committed to supporting you through your personal injury claim, and we won’t back down until we get you the settlement amount you need for your recovery. We’re prepared to take your case to litigation if needed!
If you recently suffered an accident on someone else’s property, a knowledgeable premises liability lawyer from Nordanyan Law can assist you.
Immediately after your accident, a personal injury attorney suggests taking the following steps:
1. Seek emergency medical care. It is important to have any injuries examined by a qualified medical professional.
2. Call the police and other authorities. When you are injured on someone else’s property, you should alert the property owner and any supervisors as soon as possible. Getting the police involved is helpful because a police officer will develop an official accident report. The accident report may be necessary for proving negligence further down the road.
3. Document evidence at the accident scene. Take pictures of the accident scene with your phone and gather the contact information of any witnesses.
4. Ignore calls from insurance companies. An insurance adjuster will try to contact you repeatedly to get you to accept a settlement offer. When this happens, ignore those calls, and immediately consult with an experienced premises liability attorney. Your attorney should be able to handle all negotiations for you.
5. Hire an attorney from Nordanyan Law. We will offer a free, no-obligation legal consultation for your liability case when you call today. This means that you have no obligation to choose us as your legal representation even after our phone call.
Our legal team will thoroughly investigate your premises liability case. When necessary, we will employ private investigators and industry experts to determine the cause of your injury and identify the at-fault party. Once liability is determined, our premises liability lawyers will pursue compensation on your behalf.
Hold those who are responsible for your premises liability injury accountable for their negligence. Let the team at Nordanyan Law fight to secure the compensation that you deserve.
We will help you get the justice and compensation you deserve for a wide-range of Personal Injury cases: Motor Vehicle Accidents, Premise Liability, Slip and Falls, Dog Bites/Animal Attacks, Catastrophic Injury Accidents, Wrongful Death Accidents, and more.